Filofax

Sunday, 1 June 2014

Volunteering Overseas

Fund Raising For Malawi


Today I'm writing a special post about my son Josh, who is currently fundraising to volunteer on a project overseas.  

Josh

Here is a brief interview with Josh explaining what he's doing.

Where are you going?
 “I'm going to Mzuzu in Northern Malawi”.

When are you going?
I'm departing on the 21st of July.

How did you find out about the project?
I been looking online for opportunities to go overseas and I came across the Volunteer Service Overseas (VSO). Through them I discovered they had a development programme for 17-25 year olds, called International Citizen Service (ICS). I then filled out an application form which was successful, and I was referred to one of their partner organisations ICS Lattitude.

Here are a few links that will give you more details about the organisations:



And how were you selected?
I went to a selection day in Reading where I met other potential volunteers as well the Lattitude Team. Whilst there I underwent an interview and participated in various tasks which were aiming to see whether I had the seven dimensions of ICS. A week after the selection day I received a phone call to give me feedback and to tell me I’d been selected.

What are you going to be doing in Mzuzu?
Whilst in Mzuzu I’ll most likely be working on a social health project raising awareness of issues such as HIV & AIDS. This is a long-term development goal and when our group leaves a new group will arrive to continue our work.

So what are the overall aims of your programme?
One of the aims of our programme is to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS, as part of the in country development. This allows the volunteers to gain life experiences, and skills that will allow us to become international citizens.

When you get back from Malawi, what will you do?
Once I get back we will receive a debrief on the 4th-5th of October. After that we will start the part of the programme called “Action at Home”. This part of the programme could involve writing blogs, newspaper articles, doing presentations and raising awareness of issues such as poverty for example. I’d also like to do something within “The Terrence Higgins Trust”.

How much do you have to fund raise?
I need to raise £800, although some people need to raise £1500 depending on their circumstances. I'm planning to raise money by climbing Ben Nevis on the 3rd of June 2014. If you’d like to make a donation then you can do so at the Just Giving website any money you donate will go to a fantastic cause and helps in really positive ways. You can also donate to just-giving through text by sending a message to 70070 with my personal donation code JGMA92 and finally an amount i.e £1, £2, £5 or £10.

I wish you all the best with your fund raising Josh.

No matter how small or large all donations will be greatly appreciated as Josh is finding the fund raising a slow process.

Of course you may not be able to donate but if anyone has a blog and can provide a link to this page about Josh's fundraising I would be most grateful.


Untul next time
Hetty

No comments:

Post a Comment